Apr 28, 2011

How to make Rice porridge

I have caught a cold since last Friday :'(

Unfortunately, I got a disease: Gastroenteritis.
(It is an illness of the stomach and other food passages that causes diarrhea and vomiting.)

That is Stomachache!

Because of it, I had to go without food for a day.
I could not eat and drink anything.
Just only particular water was allowed. It tasted bad like a salty sports drink.

I was so hungry!!!

So, I decided to go back my hometown.

I took a rest for a while, and next day
My grandmother cooked to me rice porridge (in Japanese: okayu)
It taste was mild and soft due to digests easily.

How to make Rice porridge

Ingredients:
Japanese rice
Water
Salt
*egg
*pickled plum
*depending on your taste

. Preparation
1. Wash Japanese rice.
2. Put water and rice in a pot.
3. Leave it for about 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Boil it on high heat.
5. Turn down the heat to low and cook for about 30 minutes.
6. Stop the heat and steam for about 10minuetes. (Put in egg)
7. Season with salt.
8. You can put various toppings such as pickled plum.
9. Serving!

Please take care to eat because it is very hot :)
And enjoy cooking with seasonings

5 comments:

  1. Are you OK ?
    I have always stomach trouble.
    So I understand your pain.

    I like okayu with pickled plums,
    but I have heard it has strong stimulation.
    Be careful choice of seasoning.

    Take care!!

    Tomomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Noriko!
    I'm so happy you recovered from the illness.
    Your stomach and intestines may still sensitive,please take care of it.

    Okayu is very healthy foods!
    I sometimes put chickens and ginger.
    It is good to heat your body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noriko, this is Megumi.
    Are you OK? What is a cause of your disease?
    However, I often eat okayu when I catch a cold. My mother always make it, but I don't know how to make it.
    If my friend catch a cold, I would like to cook for them :)
    What kind of seasoning do you like? Please let me know :)

    Take care,

    Megumi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! I'm Hiromi.
    Oh, are you fine now??
    It must be difficult not to eat anything. I don't want to drink salty sports drink!!

    When I was young, I didn't understand the deliciousness of rice porridge. I thought it was too thin.
    However, now I like it. Even though I'm not sick, I eat it sometimes:-p
    It is easy to get a packed rice porridge at a super market. When I get hungry a little, I eat it.(I eat five meals in a day)

    I thought what the difference is between rice porridge and boiled rice. They are similar to each other. Perhaps we may use green tea when I cook boiled rice?? I don't know:-)

    Take care, Noriko!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noriko - I hope you're feeling better! My favorite thing about being sick is having my mom make me comfort foods. I always ask for oyako-donburi :0) But now I live alone so I have to cook my own comfort food when I'm sick. Maybe next time I'll try rice porridge!

    One question about your reciep, what is the ratio of water to rice? Normally it is 1 cup rice: 2 cups of water, so to make porridge do I add more water?

    Also, what is the difference between okayu and zosui?

    ReplyDelete